Disclosure: By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra Dipping Co. LLC, and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I received coupons for free product used in testing this recipe. I was not compensated for my time.
Smart tailgating? Why not? Let’s man up and make this year’s football season more nutritious! Here’s an idea: It starts with hummus. #Twospoons full of hummus a day will fulfill your bean recommendation for the week and Sabra hummus is the perfect option for your tailgating menu. It pairs well with finger foods like pizza, flatbread, bruschetta, wraps, and deviled eggs. It’s also a stand alone dip for all your veggies (my favorite way to enjoy Sabra hummus). So I’m expanding on this easy-to-make snack. I grilled barbecue shrimp and served them (along with celery and carrot sticks) with Sabra Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. Talk about a healthy, but oh so delicious appetizer (btw, I could make a meal out of this one!)
There are so many delicious varieties of Sabra hummus, you may also want to dip grilled barbecued shrimp into Sabra Rosemary with Seasalt Hummus or Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus. Be sure to visit the links at the bottom of this post for more ways to use Sabra Hummus in your game day grub!
Grilled Barbecue Shrimp with Hummus
(8 appetizer servings)
- cooking spray
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- dash of hot sauce
- 2 pounds jumbo fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 10 oz. container of Sabra Roasted Red pepper Hummus or Sabra Rosemary with Seasalt Hummus or Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus
- Fresh Rosemary for garnish
- equipment: bamboo skewers
- 1. Soak bamboo skewers in water for a minimun of 20 minutes before using.
- 2. Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray. Place skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil. Once oil is hot, add onion and sautee until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- 3. Remove from heat. Add ketchup and next six ingredients. Stir until well blended.
- 4. Add shrimp to a shallow bowl and cover with barbecue sauce. Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for one hour.
- 5. Coat grill racks with cooking spray. Light grill. Thread shrimp onto soaked skewers .
- 6. Place skewered shrimp onto hot grill racks and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes , turning once.
- 7. Remove from grill and serve on a plater with a bowl full of hummus for dipping. Garnish with additional rosemary.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 217kcal Calories from fat 69|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|