Boost your a.m. protein intake with a breakfast skillet made in under 15 minutes.
If you’re like most Americans, your protein intake for breakfast is typcially inadequate. Maybe you’ve never been in the habit of starting your day with breakfast, or grabbing something as you dash out the door is all you’ve ever been able to make time for. Take note: Having a few key ingredients on hand can help your score a savory breakfast brimming with that ALL important macronutrient responsible for building and repairing muscle! Don’t underestimate the prower of protein, it also helps with weight loss and can keep you feeling full longer.
Today’s recipe redux theme , Rise and Shine with a Savory Breakfast, aligns with the trend of protein packed breakfasts! We’re showcasing new healthy takes on eating savory or dinner-inspired dishes for breakfast like egg burritos, beans and rice. Here’s mine made with soy chorizo, fired roasted tomatoes, black beans and farm fresh eggs.
A single serving made in a cast iron skillet provides: 430 calories, 29 grams protein, 9 grams fat, 37 grams carbohydrate, 10 grams fiber.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in my post 10 Reasons Why You Should Care About Muscle Maintenance. Be sure to see how my colleagues are packing protein into savory breakfast recipe ideas by visiting the links at the bottom of this post.
Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Skillet (serves 1)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup soy crumbles chorizo style
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup fired roasted tomatoes
- 1 egg
- black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon of canola oil in a 6 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
3. Add soy chorizo crumbles, black beans, and fire roasted tomatoes. Stir to combine and cook until heated. Remove from heat; make a hole in the center of salsa mixture with spoon.
4. Separate egg, dropping white into the hole made in the center of salsa. Add yolk on top of egg white. Place skillet in oven and bake for about 8 minutes or until egg is cooked. Add pepper to taste. Serve immediately.