This low carb frittata makes a delicious addition to a brunch menu, and a lean source of protein at dinner or a post workout meal. Balance your plate with a tossed salad, some fresh fruit, and whole grain roll.
My favorite quote of the day, “You are what you eat; so don’t be fast, easy, cheap, or fake.”
YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT, just happens to be the title of a presentation I’m giving at the end of September. I’ll encourage my audience to adopt 5 positive habits to live their healthiest lives. Here’s a sneak peak two:
Eat Breakfast. Starting the day with breakfast is the ultimate engergy booster. Breakfast helps with weight control, eliminates the need for sugar fixes later in the day, and improves performance at school, work, or in the gym.
Eat Real Food. Sounds so basic, right? Yet some people tend to rely on supplements, in lieu of eating a balance diet. The nutrients in real foods are better absorbed. Real food beats engineered food on taste, and food supplies all the nutrients you need. As a matter of fact, food supplies some nutrients for which there are no supplements… SPOILER ALERT: phytonutrients. Phytonutrients, or phytochemicals are disease fighting substances and are found only in grains, nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables.
Are you ready to live your healthiest life? I’m posting a delicious recipe for spinach frittata to get you started implementing the above habits. If so, It comes together in only 30 minutes, and can be made ahead of time! It’s low in carbs, high in protein and packed with spinach and roasted red peppers. I make it a balanced breakfast with the addition of fruit and yogurt. I also serve this frittata at dinner with a whole grain roll, fresh fruit and a tossed salad topped with roasted shallots and peppers and drizzled with a blackberry vinaigrette.
I hope you’ll give it a try. More importantly, I hope you’ll commit to eating breakfast, and enjoying wholesome, good for you foods!Print
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baking
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• one 10 oz. package triple washed organic spinach
• 1 cup egg whites
• 3 whole eggs
• 1/4 cup crumbled low fat feta cheese
• 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
• 1/4 cup sliced roasted red peppers
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place a medium saute pan over medium heat; add olive oil. Saute spinach until wilted; remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites. Gradually add the remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Pour mixture into 9 inch glass baking pie plate that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. When the egg mixture is fairly set, uncover and continue to bake another 5 – 10 minutes .
- Cut into triangles and serve.
- Serving Size: 1/3 frittata
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 2 grams
- Sodium: 810 mg
- Fat: 20 grams
- Saturated Fat: 6 grams
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 7 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 23 grams
- Cholesterol: 205 mg