The image of strolling together on the beach at sunset or cozying up by the fire in a ski lodge sounds wonderfully romantic. But that’s not what this post is about. Romance can start right in your own kitchen, with a meal you made yourself! This Valentine’s Day, heat things up with a bottle of chardonnay, a table for two, a delicious shrimp dinner, and 2 forks. I’m providing the recipe. The rest is up to you.
Now, before you tell me you don’t have time to cook, let me point out how simple this dish really is. You can make the sauce in 5 minutes (I like making it a day ahead). Then all there is to do is clean and devein the shrimp, sauté them and smoother them with creamy tomato sauce. I love this dish served over a bed of polenta or with a classic risotto. Add a fresh salad with a vinaigrette dressing and voila, you’re done. It’s a quick clean up too, so you have time for…well, more important things. You get the picture!
Because all meals should be enjoyed, and this one should be intimately memorable, I recommend some romantic dinner music. Smooth jazz makes great background music and there are lots of romantic ballads that would also set a sensual relaxing mood. Here’s my pick for this year: a mix of jazz and the sounds of a fireplace and rain drops. Listen while you read through the recipe.
Oh, before I forget, for those of you who watch what you eat,…even on Valentine’s Day (you’re so good) I am providing the nutrition information:
Nutrition Profile: Shrimp in a Skillet with Creamy Tomato Sauce (one serving) :
303 calories, 27 grams protein , 21 grams carbohydrate, 8 grams fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 185 mg cholesterol, 620 mg sodium, 26% DV vitamin C (based on 2000 calorie diet), 22% DV iron(based on 2000 calorie diet)
Keep the total meal around 500 calories by following this plan:
1 serving Skillet Shrimp in Creamy Tomato Sauce
1/3 cup cooked polenta
tossed salad with 1 Tablespoon vinaigrette dressing
White Wine Spritzer made with 4 oz. Chardonnay, 2 oz. sparkling water and garnished with fresh strawberries or raspberries
Happy Valentine’s Day!
How do you plan on making your food agenda irresistible but keeping it healthy this Valentine’s Day?
Skillet Shrimp with Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- 2 Tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
- 8 oz. fresh or frozen shrimp
- Clean and devein shrimp. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Add chopped onion and sauté til soft. Add white wine and cook until wine is absorbed. Add tomato paste and clam juice. Cook one to two minutes over medium heat until combined. Remove from heat and pour sauce into container to refrigerate before adding nonfat Greek yogurt. (Cool for 15 minutes, or if you have time, leave overnight). Once cool, add nonfat Greek yogurt.
- Spray a 6 inch iron skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium high heat. Add shrimp and sauté until shrimp turns pink. Gently pour sauce over top shrimp and heat through. Serve immediately.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 208kcal Calories from fat 64|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 7g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|