What crosses your mind when you hear the word pie? I think happy thoughts… like the first time I had strawberry pie ..and have nostoligic memories like running home from elementary school trying to beat my brother to the last piece of Mom’s lemon meringue pie. When I learned that June’s Recipe Redux challenge was all about pie, I had visions of rolling out a pie shell, cutting up summer ripe fruit and baking. Then, my daughter got involved… in a good kinda way. She was paging through the May issue of Cooking Light, and when her eye’s met the image of their cheeseburger pizza, I knew that was my next meal.
Today’s post is that meal: a redux of CL‘s cheeseburger pizza. Before I made any changes, this pizza was already what I consider a good bet for a healthy pizza. My changes, made mimimal impact on overall nutrition, but here they are:
1. Special sauce done Cooking Light‘s way = mayo + ketchup, gets revamped to Greek yogurt +sundried tomatoes + garlic (this was epic so plan on seeing it again).
2. Baking gets scraped for grilling (’cause your grill is the perfect pizza oven so we might as well take advantage of summer and do it outside!)
Please visit the links at the bottom of this post for more ways to pie it forward.
Grilled Cheeseburger Pizza Pie
- 4 Tablespoons sun dried tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup + 1 T plain, non fat Greek yogurt
- 4 ounces 90 % lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 10oz prepared thin whole wheat pizza crust (such as Boboli)
- 2 ounce part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded(about 1/2 cup)
- 1 ounce Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar ( about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tomato, thinnly sliced
- 10 dill pickle chips
- freshly ground pepper
- 1. Pre-heat grill.
- 2. Add beef and onion to a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 3 minutes or until beef is browned. Remove from heat.
- 3. Place sun dried tomatoes, and garlic in a small food processor or blender and process until tomatoes are in tiny pieces. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in Greek yogurt. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place pizza crust in a perforated round pizza pan. Spread tomato/yogurt mixture over crust leaving a 1/2 inch border.
- 4. Spread beef over tomato/yogurt mixture. Sprinkle cheese over beef. Top evenly with tomato slices and pickles; sprinkle with freshly ground pepper.
- 5. Place pizza in the center of grill and put the lid on. Grill 3 to 5 minutes minutes or until toppings are hot and cheese is melted, but be careful not to char crust. Use your sense of smell while grilling and if it smells like the pizza is burning, turn the heat down. When the edges of the pizza are crisp and the cheese is melted, carefully remove pizza from grill. Cut into 8 wedges and serve immediately.