There’s somethin’ about spring that’s motivating. I don’t know if it’s the sight of trees budding, the warmth of sun on my face, or the liberating feeling of running bare legged, but it brings out the best in me. This week, I have completed ‘the task’ I’ve been dodging for over seven months. I am happy to report reorganizing my study is like a breathe of fresh air…
In addition to some obligatory spring cleaning, I ‘ve also been busy with one of my favorite spring activies, transitioning menus to reflect the fresh flavors of spring and summer. It started with Mango Curry Granola and the third smart way to eat this delicious and nutritious fruit, nut and oat combination: use it as an ingredient in other foods to easily and consitently keep the granola portion size in check. There’s no limit to the foods that pair with granola for high impact flavor. Today it’s the topping on a cool cucumber salad (which btw can also top 2 slices of bread for an easy vegetarian sandwich). This is the salad that’s the perfect afternoon snack, providing some simple and complex carbohydrates, protein, and produce. Here ‘s how simple it is to make: Spoon ricotta cheese onto a plate. Toss sliced cucumber with lemon juice and arrange on top of ricotta cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a tablespoon of granola. Detailed recipe below.
How is spring motivating you?
Cucumber Ricotta Salad with Mango Curry Granola
- 1 English cucumber, thinnly sliced into rounds
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil+ more for drizzleing
- Maldon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups low fat ricotta cheese
for the Mango Curry Granola
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground curry
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/3 cup chopped dried mango
- 1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- 2. Place ingredients oats through red pepper flakes in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- 3. Pour onto a foil or parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 20 to 30 minute or until golden, stirring every 10 minutes.
- 4. Allow to cool. Add lime zest and dried mango.
- 1. In a small bowl toss cucumber, with lemon juic and olive oil.
- 2. In a small bowl whisk ricotta until smooth and season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Spoon ricotta onto plates and top with cucumber. Sprinkle some of the granola on the cucumbers and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and several tablespoons of granola. Serve right away.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 467kcal Calories from fat 294|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 33g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||70%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|