Serve up comfort and joy with a lighter version of broccoli cheddar soup.Disclosure: I am a member of the Cabot Cheese Board and receive free Cabot cheese mentioned in this post. I was not compensated for writing this post. Opinions are my own.
I will survive, has become a familiar holiday mantra! It’s one I personally like because it implies lower expectations. I know it sounds cynical.. bleak.. and gloomy, but when does anything ever work out exactly as planned? If you’re hoping for it, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. My friend and colleague wrote about this in her healthy aperture blog post where she describes how she makes memories during the weekly grind. Regan makes a good point about being flexible with your expectations.
So taking Regan’s theme of making the most out of ordinary days, I am sharing a recipe that will bring comfort and joy to any day of the week. My lighter broccoli and cheddar soup is lactose friendly, lighter than the traditional version, and is a source of fiber important for filling you up, not out. I served it with a salad for an easy ‘Panera’ night in. May your days be merry and bright and your expectations be spot on!
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup nonfat Lactaid milk
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, whites only, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups broccoli florets, coarsely chopped
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 cups Seriously Sharp Cabot Cheese, grated
1. Add cooked rice and lactaid milk to blender and process until smooth.
2. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add leeks, saute 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook additional minute. Add broccoli ; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3.Add chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Add rice mixture; simmer 2 minutes. stirring occasionally.
3. Place 2 cups of soup in blender, process until smooth. Return to pan. Add pepper to taste and slowly add cheese, stirring until it melts. Serve immediately or refrigerate and reheat for later.