Boosting protein at breakfast can be as easy as adding two scrambled egg whites to a delicious and trendy plant-based bowl. I enjoyed seeing many of my registered dietitian (RD/RDN) friends in Boston last weekend at the Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo (FNCE); all committed to staying abreast of the current scientific research in the field. Please take note: this is what makes registered dietitians your source for credible nutrition information. I hope in the coming weeks to share nuggets of knowledge learned and more yummy ways to integrate that knowledge into your meals and snacks.
On the heels of my trip to Boston, is the October Recipe Redux. Here’s our challenge: Plant Protein Power Bowls: Packed with protein, fiber and color, plant protein bowls are trendy and delicious.
Today I share
Using the whole grain quinoa as a base (flavored with smokey paprika), I slip in some high quality protein as egg whites allowing me to keep the calories low and still meet my protein needs early in the morning. Here’s a little fact that influences my food choices: older adults need less calories, but NOT less protein. To this high fiber, lean protein base, I add sauted grape tomatoes in olive oil and top with heart healthy avocado cubes. Tossing in some fresh oregano from the garden adds even more color and flavor. Please visit the links at the bottom of this post to see how my Recipe Redux colleagues are packing in protein, fiber and color into their trendy bowls.
Smoky Quinoa Breakfast Bowl with Avocado
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 cup rinsed tricolor quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- pinch of salt
- 8 egg whites
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- fresh oregano
1. Heat one teaspoon of oil in a saucepan. Add onion and cook over medium -low heat until soft, about 3 minutes.
2. Add minced garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add smoked paprika. Stir and cook 1 more minute. Add rinsed quinoa and stir to combine.
3. Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-15 minutes.
4. Sprinkle the cubed avocado with lime juice and a pinch of salt. Mix and gently set aside.
5. Place egg whites to a microwave safe bowl, and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Continue to microwave about 30 seconds longer or until egg whites are set.
6. In a separate saute pan, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add halved tomatoes. Cook over medium heat until tomatoes soften and the skins begin to wrinkle, about 2 minutes.
7.Add quinoa and cooked egg whites to sauted tomatoes. Stir to combine. Spoon into serving bowls.
8. Top each bowl with cube avocado. Sprinkle with fresh oregano.