Stop working harder. Start working smarter and seeing results. In my last post, Get in Shape: No Additional Time Required, I discuss the the concept of living healthier by making small changes or swaps that add up to permanent change and real results. This post is for you if you’d like maximize training gains after a bout of resistance/strength training. Muscle protein synthesis can be upregulated by paying attention to three factors: time of recovery, amount of protein and type of protein. So 30 minutes after a series of strength exercises like this
I aim to get 20-30 grams of (high branch chain a.a.) protein in a snack like this
I hope you will join me with this recovery snack after your next bout of strength training!
Pineapple Yogurt Parfait with Coconut Mango Granola
makes 1 yogurt parfait with granola to spare
for the granola
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, (GF look for gluten free label)
- 2 tablespoons quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/3 cup chopped dried mango
for the yogurt
- 6 ounces low fat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup canned crushed pineapple, packed in its own juice
for the granola
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Place ingredients oats through sea salt in a small bowl and stir to combine.
3. Pour onto a foil or parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 20 to 30 minute or until golden, stirring every 10 minutes.
4. Allow to cool. Add lime zest and dried mango. Store in an air tight container.
to assemble parfait
1. Layer three ounces of yogurt, pineapple and remaining yogurt in a parfait glass. Top with 2 tablepoons of granola.