Use ribbons of zucchini to incorporate more vegetables into sandwiches, stews and pasta dishes.
Who else wants a second serving of pasta without doubling calories or compromising taste? Yea, I though so! You ‘ll especially love this tip if you’re still using up zucchini from a CSA box! Take that farm fresh zucchini and make noodles, aka zoodles, with a spiralizer or vegetable peeler and combine with pasta of similar shape. It’s a simple way to cut down on the carbs without having to cut down on your portion. Produce is low in calories and sodium and bursting with vitamins, minerals, health enhancing fiber and antioxidants. You’ll not only reduce the calories of a dish, but also improve its nutritional profile. This life hack was the inspiration for my light and healthy meal under 500 calories. I made zoodles, mixed them with linguine, and topped it all off with pan seared cod and a yummy lemon pesto sauce. Satisfyingly scrumptious!
Cod & Zoodles with Lemon Pesto Sauce
- 1/4 pound uncooked linguine
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 large lemon
- 2 Tablespoons plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 Tablespoon pesto
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 pound white fish, such as cod
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- fresh basil
- 20 yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
- 2. While pasta cooks, shave zucchini into ribbons using a vegetable peeler or into julienne slices using a julienne peeler; place in large bowl.
- 3. Cut lemon in half and squeeze juice of one half into small bowl.
- 4. Add yogurt, mayo, 2 Tablespoons cheese, pesto and salt to juice and stir well. Set aside.
- 5. Add egg to pyrex baking plate. Add panko to second plate. Dip fish into egg and then panko. Heat olive oil in a medium -size skillet over medium high heat. Add fish to skillet, and brown on each side (about 3 to 5 minutes depending on thickness of fish.) Remove fish from pan and cover with foil to keep warm.
- 6. Add sauce to skillet , reduce heat to medium-low and cook 1 -2 minutes.
- 7. Increase heat to medium high and add butter, remaining 1 tablespoon cheese, and white wine. Bring to boil. Cook stirring constantly, 1 minute or until thickend.
- 8. Combine zucchini and linguine place on large serving platter. Mix in basil. Top with cooked fish. Pour sauce over fish and vegetable pasta mixture. Garnish with cherry tomato halves.