Lite snow white dip and colder weather veggies are the perfect way to encourage healthy during the holidays and still spread holiday cheer.
The Recipe Redux is once again playing their favorite game: Grab a Book and Cook! Members are challenged to pick a beloved cookbook, and turn to any page with combination of the numbers of the out going year, 2016. Last time we played this game, I picked the trendy book, Plenty. But to today, I’m throwing it back to the eighties with the Frog Commissary Cookbook. Originally published in 1985, this cookbook was way ahead of its’ time, featuring a multiethnic blend of foods and ingredients including many vegetarian recipes. Thumbing to page 16 of the book, I found A Few Thoughts on Crudités. Taking my cue from their tips including let the season be your guide and don’t overlook the the sophistication of an all green-and-white presentation, With this inspiration, I’m sharing a lite snow white dip accompanied by winter crudité. If you have visions of sugar plums dancing in you head, now you can also have visions of fennel, broccoli, and cremini mushrooms, oh my! I figured you were probably busy this week so I kept this festive appetizer/snack easy to make; you can prepare in only 10 minutes. ENJOY! Don’t forget to visit the links at the bottom of this post to see what my colleauges are smitten with.
What festive but healthy foods are you preparing this week?
Snow White Dip with Winter Crudités (8 -12 appetizer servings)
for the dip
- 1 cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup lite sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsely, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground course garlic sea salt
- fennel fronds
- pomegranate seeds
for the crudite
- 1 fennel bulb
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 head of broccoli
- Combine all ingredients in a small serving bowl. Stir. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Just before serving garnish with fennel fronds and pomegranate seeds.
- 1. Break broccoli into flowerets. Fill the bottom of a sauce pan with one inch of water. Bring to a boil. Blanch broccoli by adding to pan of boiling water for 30 seconds. Transfer vegetables to ice water. Allow to cool and drain.
- 2. Wipe mushrooms with a damp cloth to clean.
- 3. Cut fennel bulb into strips.
- 4. Arrange vegetables on a platter and serve with dip.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 2153kcal Calories from fat 1832|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 204g||314%|
|Saturated Fat 40g||200%|
|Dietary Fiber 24g||96%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|