I wish I could prep meals fresh from the garden everyday. The summer is about as close to this as I get, and not everything very little is from my garden. For the month of July, the Recipe Redux challenges us to show how we’re using July FRESH fruits and vegetables. This includes produce from the Farmers Market, CSA shares or a plot of dirt out back (let’s see if we have any green thumbs in the group!)
for the crust
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- cooking spray
for the filling
- 2 3/4 pounds assorted large tomatoes, divided
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 6 oz. (1 1/2 cups) shredded Cabot's reduced fat cheddar
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Canola oil mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar,
- 6 -12 zucchini blossoms, stamens removed
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2. Combine quinoa, pepper and egg in a bowl, stirring well. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool.
- 3. Cut tomaotes into 1/4-inch thick slices and remove seeds. Place tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt. Let stand 30 minutes.
- 4. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. Stir together cheddar cheese and next seven ingredients, and remaining 1 teaspoon sea salt in large bowl until combined. Shred zucchini blossoms and add to mixture.
- 5. Pat tomato slices with a dry paper towel. Lightly spread 1/2 cup cheese mixture onto crust. Layer with half of tomato slices in slightly overlapping rows. Spread with 1/2 cup cheese mixture. Repeat layers using remaining tomato slices and cheese mixture. Cut 3/4 pound tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and arrange on top of pie.
- 6. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes shielding edges with foil during last 20 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 1 to 2 hour before serving.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 240 kcal Calories from fat 117|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 13g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|