Soft baked zucchini cookies are not only a terrific simple dessert, they’re one of my favorite pre-workout snacks.It’s not what you do once in awhile, it’s what you do on most days. My philosophy for better nutrition is eating in a way that balances the goals of health with eating for pleasure. I do this by including the nutrient rich foods my body needs, without sacrificing enjoyment. I often modify recipes to boost the nutritional value and still maintain taste. Like these..soft caked cookies made with a combination of both white flour and white whole wheat, and cutting back on total fat by substituting nonfat Greek yogurt. When I ran the nutritional profile (see below) I realized they meet the criteria I use for an pre-workout snack:
100-200 calories 24-40 grams carbohydrate, ≤ 5 grams fat, ,≤ 5 grams fiber, ,≤ 10 grams protein.
Soft Baked Zucchini Bread Cookies
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 3 dozen 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- 1 pound zucchini (about 2 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 100% white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 tablespoons low fat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Trim stem and root end of zucchini. Using a box grater, grate zucchini. You should have about 3 cups.
3. Place the grated zucchini in a clean kitchen towel or several layers of cheese cloth and squeeze to press out as much liquid as possible.
4. Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, oil, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract .
6. Add grated zucchini to dry ingredients. Pour liquids over the top. Gently stir and fold just until no more flour is visible.
7.Drop cookie dough by rounded tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheets.
8. Bake about 10-15 minutes, or until edges are firm. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 8 grams
- Sodium: 110 mg
- Fat: 3 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 grams
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 17 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 3 grams
- Cholesterol: 10 mg