Soft baked zucchini cookies are not only a terrific simple dessert, they’re one of my favorite pre-workout snacks.Staying consistent with a healthy lifestyle is important; it’s not what you do once in awhile thats affects your health, it’s what you do on most days. My philosophy for better nutrition is eating in a way that balances the goals of health with eating for pleasure. I do this by including the nutrient rich foods my body needs, without sacrificing enjoyment. I often modify recipes to boost the nutritional value and still maintain taste. Like these..soft caked cookies made with a combination of both white flour and white whole wheat, and cutting back on total fat by substituting nonfat Greek yogurt. When I ran the nutritional profile (see below) I realized they meet the criteria I use for an pre-workout snack:
100-200 calories 24-40 grams carbohydrate, ≤ 5 grams fat, ,≤ 5 grams fiber, ,≤ 10 grams protein.
Nutritional profile: Each cookie is one hundred calories and 2.5 grams fat, 0 grams saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 11o mg sodium, 17 grams carbohydrate, 1 gram fiber, 8 grams sugar and 2 grams protein.
Soft Baked Zucchini Cookies
Ingredients (3 dozen)
- 1 pound zucchini (about 2 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 100% white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons cup canola oil
- 6 tablespoons low fat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Trim stem and root end of zucchini. Using a box grater, grate zucchini. You should have about 3 cups.
3. Place the grated zucchini in a clean kitchen towel or several layers of cheese cloth and squeeze to press out as much liquid as possible.
4. Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, oil, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract .
6. Add grated zucchini to dry ingredients. Pour liquids over the top. Gently stir and fold just until no more flour is visible.
7.Drop cookie dough by rounded tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheets.
8. Bake about 10-15 minutes, or until edges are firm. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.