Win over your guests with a dessert that adds color to your table, is light yet nutrient rich, and has a sweet tropical taste.
Disclosure : I received free samples of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Zespri KiwiFruit and I am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
This week I’ve be obsessed with watching the Olympics. Go USA! And I’ve scored a little gold of my own..
Zespri SunGold KiwiFruit; the fruit sensation that’s blowing up the culinary world with a superior eating experience! What’s different about Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit? Here’s the scoop…
1. Zespri SunGold KiwiFruit is hairless, sporting the trendy look of smooth skin (no shaving necessary). The hairless Zespri SunGold kiwifruit will also suprise you with what’s inside: they’re yellow! Zespri SunGold kiwis have a juicy, yellow flesh and a sweeeet tropical taste!
2. Zespri SunGold KiwiFruit requires no peeling! Of course, you can still peel them, but it’s optional! Cut one in half with a knife and scoop with a spoon for a portable snack.
3. Zespri KiwiFruit is a meat tenderizer. Both green and SunGold Kiwifruit contain an enzyme call actinidin that helps break down protein. Peeled and mashed, kiwifruit can be spread over meat or used to make a kiwifruit marinade.
4. Zespri KiwiFruit are a delicious source of micronutrients including an excellent source of both vitamin C and potassium. SunGold is also a good source of vitamin E.
5. Zespri fruit is the best tasting kiwi; an attribute achieved through a measure called called the brix. With Zespri fruit you can taste the difference.
It was just the other day I was desperate for a festive summer dessert for my fitness savvy friends, when I created this golden pie
and took a victory lap! Each delicious slice has only 200 calories; is low in fat ( 4.5 grams of fat/serving); low in cholesterol (20 mg cholesterol /serving); low in sodium (35 mg sodium/serving); a source of fiber (3 grams fiber/serving); provides 70 % of the Daily Value for vitamin C. It’s also vegetarian and gluten free helping you to meet the varying dietary requests of your guests and be assured a little GOLD of your own!
‘Gold Medal’ Strawberry Kiwi Pie
Win over your guests with Strawberry Kiwi Pie; it’s the dessert that adds color to your table, is light yet nutrient rich, and has a sweet tropical taste.
- Yield: 8 servings
for the pie crust
- • 2 cups of cooked tricolor quinoa
- • 1 large egg
- • 3/4 cup shredded coconut + plus more for garnish
- • cooking spray
for the pie filling
- • 2 Zespri Sungold Kiwi
- • 2 cups fresh strawberries + 6 berries halved
- • 1/2 cup sugar
- • 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- • 1 cup cold water
- • 4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- • lime zest
For the Pie Crust
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2 . Combine cooked quinoa, egg and coconut in a bowl. Stir well to combine.
3. Press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
for the filling
1. Peel one kiwi and slice into rounds. Arrange on the cooled baked shell. Add in 6 strawberry halves.
2. Puree two cups of strawberries in a blender or food processor. Stir in sugar. Add in fresh lime juice.
3. Add cornstarch to cold water and stir until well blended.
4. Add cornstach mixture to pureed berries in a microwave safe bowl. Heat gently until mixture begins to thicken. (Time will vary depending on microwave.) Start by heating for one minute, then stir mixture. Heat for a second minute. Stir. (It took mine 5 minutes to reach thick consistency.)
5. Pour pureed fruit into the pie shell, over kiwi slices and strawberry halves.
6. Peel and slice second kiwi, arranging slices on top of pie. Refrigerate until chilled. Top with shredded coconut flakes and lime zest.
EA-The Spicy RD says
You are so creative to make this with a quinoa crust! This is such a pretty pie, and I love the kiwifruit + strawberry combo. Yum!
Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen says
what a creative crust idea! I want to try this.. pinning 🙂
Such a beautiful pie! I bet the kiwis pair amazingly with the strawberries!
Jessica @ Nutritioulicious says
This is so pretty! Wish I could eat kiwis (I’m allergic), but may just have to make this without them!
Diane Boyd says
Oh no, I hate that you have to miss the SunGold!
Laurina Roo @sweetenedbyplants says
Oh I love this pie filling! Can’t wait to try it.
Jenny Shea Rawn says
What a gorgeous summer pie – those colors! And a quinoa crust? Would have never thought to try that – so smart.
What? A quinoa crust? Love how pretty it makes this pie…and bet it’s so delish. Great that it has 3 gm of fiber. I always serve dessert in my house…so this will fit the bill with my preferences of healthy desserts…and my kids of delish…esp. when I tell them it was inspired by the Olympics which they’re obsessed with too!
Diane Boyd says
Yes, I used a tricolor quinoa that mimics the black and gold in the kiwi. The nutritional profile had me smiling!
Deanna Segrave-Daly says
Love the tie-in with the Olympics and the color of this pie – stunning!
Diane Boyd says
Thank you Deanna. I had fun with it!