Disclosure: I received a Produce Box, mentioned in this post, free of charge. I was not compensated financially for writing this post. Opinions are my own.
Local produce, reducing food waste, farm love..this post is about all of the above. You see, the Produce Box was started by a stay at home Mom, Courtney Tellefsen, in an effort to make it easy for health conscience NC families to eat local, sustainable food. They also serve the wider community. Read about TPB history here and if you haven’t already joined, please sign up here to enjoy boxes like this beauty…
I love the conveninece of having the farmer’s market brought to my doorstep and I #feelgood about supporting local farmers; the Produce Box has a Farm Fund and has donated more than $20,000 to farmers to make capital improvements. I also enjoy the variety of produce, trying new things (like this cool cuke), and getting inspiration to prepare vegetables in new ways. Today’s recipe (adapted from the recipe included in my box) is a new way of using radishes. They generally go into my salads, but today I ‘m preparing them in a cast iron skillet. The interesting thing about this dish, it reduces food waste by using the entire vegetable, including the part you usually toss! Go ahead, eat the whole thing!
Cast Iron Skillet Roasted Radishes with Brown Butter
- 1 bunch medium organic red radishes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil + more for brushing skillet
- Himalayan pink salt, ground
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Brush an 8 inch cast iron skillet with olive oil.
- 2. Wash radishes and cut off all but 1/2 inch of the green radish tops; reserve trimmed tops and rinse well; coarsley chop and set aside.
- 3. Cut radishes in half lengthwise and place in a medium bowl. Add olive oil and toss thoroughly to coat. Place radishes, cut side down, in prepared cast iron skillet. Sprinkle with coarse Himalayan pink salt.
- 4. Roast unitl radishes are crisp tender, stirring occasionally, (about 18 minutes). Remove from oven and season to taste with additional salt, as desired.
- 5. In 6 inch cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Add pinch of Himalayan pink salt and cook until butter browns, swirling skillet frequently to keep butter solids from burning, about 3 minutes.
- 6. Remove skillet from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- 7. Drizzle brown butter over roasted radishes. Sprinkle with chopped radish tops and serve.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 201kcal Calories from fat 186|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 21g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|