This chocolate tea bread is just one example of the delicious baked goods that can be created by using a dried plum purée instead of butter to reduce fat and calories, add moisture, enhance flavor and boost the nutritional profile.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 30 cm breadmould and set aside.
2. . Make a dried plum puree by adding 1/3 cup of the dried plums to a small saucepan. Add enough water to cover the dried fruit. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until plums are tender.
3. Remove dried fruit (reserving cooking liquid) and add to a food processor along with 1 1/2 Tablespoons of reserved cooking liquid. Process until smooth. This should make 1/4 cup dried plum purée.
4. In a mixing bowl,cream 1/4 cup dried plum purée with sugar. Add egg and beat well.
5. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa and cinnamon. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition.
6. Chop remaining 2/3 cup dried plums and stir them into the batter along with nuts.
7. Scrape the batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 to 60 minutes , or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (If necessary, cover loosely with aluminum foil during the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning.)
8. Immediately turn the loaf out of the pan and allow to cool on a wire rack. Cut into thick slices. (Delicious toasted or chilled and served with unsalted butter or light cream cheese.)