Enhance strength gains after resistance training with a Greek Yogurt Parfait with Grapefruit, Pomegranate Arils and Pistachios. The protein this snack packs is important for boosting lean muscle mass gains, improving recovery and helping with weight loss.
I like to get it on board 30 minutes after a workout to take advantage of the relationship between protein and training; exercise sensitizes muscle to amino acid uptake. Studies have shown that protein type, amount and timing are the factors that influence muscle protein synthesis. This is the snack that delivers 21 grams of protein, high in the amino acid leucine ( responsible for triggering muscle protein synthesis). ‘Cause I like to keep the sugar content low, I use the secret ingredient I introduced you to in my last post…
If the macerated fruit isn’t sweet enough with the yogurt, add a little Monk Fruit in the Raw (zero calorie natural sweetener) to the yogurt and then layer with fruit. My recipe with exact measurements is below.
Layering Greek yogurt with pomegrante arils and macerated grapefruit , and topping with pistachios makes a refreshing post recovery snack with the type and amount of protein necessary to maximize training gains. Hope you enjoy!
Grapefruit Pomegranate Greek Yogurt (serves 1)
- 6 ounces plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Monk Fruit in the Raw, Bakers Bag (optional)
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup pomegrante arils
- handfull of pistachios, shelled
for the macerated grapefruit
- 1/2 grapefruit, sectioned
- 1 teaspoon honey
for the macerated fruit
Place grapefruit and honey in a Mason jar and allow to sit for 15 minutes or cover and refrigerate for up to one day.
to assemble the yogurt Parfait
1. In a small bowl, stir Monk Fruit into Greek yogurt. Add pinch of salt.
2. In a parfait glass or portable yogurt cup, layer pomegranate arils with yogurt and macerated grapefruit. Finish with fruit.
3. Add pistachios just before eating.