A lighter version of cream of tomato soup served with cheese tartines.
for the tomato soup
1.Heat canola oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and saute for about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one additional minute.
2. Add tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, 1/4 cup basil, chicken broth and pepper and stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes.
2. Allow to cool and puree in a blended or process through a food mill,discarding any dry pulp. Return to pot over low heat. Stir in reduced fat cream cheese. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later. Makes 8 appetizer servings or 6 meal servings.
for the cheese tartines (makes 16)
1. Slice baguette into 4- 2 inch pieces. Half each piece, as if to create a top and bottom. Cut each squre in half along the diagonal to create a triangle. (Each 2 inch piece will create 4 triangle pieces.)
2. Top each piece with sliced cheddar cheese.
3. Place under the broiler and cook until cheese is melted, watching carefully so as not to burn. Top with remaining thinnly sliced basil.