A the delicous and nutritions combination of oats and dairy makes an oatmeal brûlée .
for the topping
1. Pour lactose-free milk into a microwave safe measuring cup and heat in the microwave on high for about 2 minutes or until hot to the touch (this will reduce cooking time.)
2. In a medium sauce pan (NOT OVER HEAT), combine the eggs, sugar and cornstarch. Beat with a wire whisk until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
3. Whisk hot milk into egg/sugar mixture while the pan is set over low to medium heat. Cook whisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
4. Remove pan from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
5. Cool for 5-10 minutes .
6. Divide custard evenly into 4 six-ounce ramekins. Top with 1/4 cup cooked steel cut oats.
7. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of caster sugar spread in a fine even layer.
8. Place ramekins on cookie sheet. Move the top rack in your oven as high as it will go.
9. Place cookie sheet on top rack of oven and broil for 5 to 10 minutes rotating ramekins to brown evenly. Remove when sugar is melted and brown.
10. Serve lukewarm after the sugar is set about 5 minutes or refrigerate and serve cold. Garnish with fresh berries and mint.