Got travel plans? Whether your treking across the country or just gallivanting across town, if food is part of your journey, it should be savored and enjoyed! This month’s Recipe Redux theme is all about travel snacks. Here is our challenge:
Sometimes, the food is the best part of the journey. Be it business travel or a road trip for pleasure, share your favorite travel snacks/mini meals. Do you pack a special treat for the road to eat in the car or at rest stops? Or do you have a tried & true snack that makes it safely through airport security? Share your healthy recipe for road trip nourishment.
I am a pretty deliberate traveler. I don’t like to make many stops unless I absolutely have too. Just the necessities. Gas. Restroom. And… Starbucks. Not necessarily in that order. Nevertheless, if you plan a road trip with me, plan on stopping at Starbucks. As a matter of fact, I keep a record of where the Starbucks are located on I-95! So when I read this month’s theme, I wanted to share what I would pack to make my coveted cup of java even better! Now it’s no secret that Starbucks sells plenty of goodies that pair well with coffee: the iced lemon pound cake clocking in at 500 calories; the cheese danish or the apple fritter both clocking in at 420 calories; the cheesecake brownie with a slim 300 calories… snicker⁎snicker. But what bakery items are in my snack calorie budget of 100-200 calories? Of the sixty eight items on the Starbuck’s bakery board, only 2 are under 200 calories: the petite vanilla scone or the chewy chocolate meringue cookie. Let’s just say my stop at Starbucks is for the coffee, not the calories!
And that, my friends, is why I tote my own snacks. But aside from avoiding calorie bombs, a homemade snack guarantees I am getting something made with only the freshest ingredients. And you can too, with my recipe for Lemon Honey Pistachio Biscotti. Each biscotti contains only 100 calories, is a source of healthy monounsaturated fat, is sweetened with the goodness of honey, and is satisfying! This recipe makes 2 dozen biscotti, so you’ll have plenty to share. Enjoy your journey and be the road King or Queen with this heavenly snack! Be sure to check out the links at the bottom of this post to discover more healthy travel snacks.
What are your favorite travel snacks?
Recipe Redux Travel Snack : Lemon Honey Pistachio Biscotti
- 2 1/4 sifted all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup shelled pistachios, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In medium bowl mix flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs. Add honey, and lemon zest to the eggs and stir to combine. Add to flour mixture. Stir in nuts. Divide dough in half. (It will be very sticky, so flour your hands well when working with dough.)
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough half into an 8 inch log. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and press to 7/8 ” thickness, being careful to make it uniform. Bake until risen and firm about 15-20 minutes. Cool completely about 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F . On a cutting board and using a serrated knife, slice logs to 1/2″ thickness. Lay slices in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake until dry and just starting to brown 15-20 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar. Makes 2 dozen.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 56kcal Calories from fat 19|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 2g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|