The first time I made these mini sliders, my daughter called them “cute”. I think she nailed it! But what are sliders anyway? They’re greasy burgers; the kind they serve at White Castle and your local bar (usually at happy hour). The name was actually dubbed, during World War II, by US Naval personnel who notice hamburger patties slid across the griddle as the ships were tossed about at sea. Now there’s an appetizing thought! Just one of the reasons I am giving the traditional slider a makeover. In addition to reducing the fat content of these sandwiches, I decided that shrinking them would make them a fun party food suitable for lightening up the atmosphere (and the diets) of hungry intense football fans eager for Super Bowl XLVIII.
So how does one make a greasy burger, not so greasy? Well, you must start with the leanest of ingredients. I use extra lean ground beef (93% lean). Then I take advantage of mushroom’s “swapability”. Finely chopped mushrooms can lighten up beef meals without compromising taste or texture. Simply add mushrooms to the meat or replace some the ground beef with them. Finally, cooking method is an important consideration when controlling fat. These burgers were baked, but you could also broil or grill them!
What foods are you looking forward to while watching the superbowl? Have you ever given thought to how you might ‘lighten’ them up?
Honey I Shrunk the Sliders | Slider Makeover Recipe
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms (baby bella), chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 10 mini slider rolls
- Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onions and mushrooms. Sauté 3-5 minutes. Drain. In a large bowl combine mushroom/onion mixture with beef , ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and oregano. Roll into 2 inch meat balls. Bake in a 400 degree Farenheit oven for 20 minutes. Remove meatballs from oven and drain on paper towels. Place one meatball in each mini slider roll. Serve with lettuce, onion, tomato and your choice of toppings.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 236kcal Calories from fat 47|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|