Beverages with warm spices are comfort for me. It’s even more comforting being able to prepare them (and show others how to prepare them) with less sugar without compromising taste!
Lifestyle matters. It’s the centerpiece of my blog and it’s relevant to this month, November, designated as National Diabetes Month. Here’s a sobering fact:
29 million Americans have diabetes and another 86 million are at risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
THESE NUMBERS ARE ALARMING! But people at high risk for type 2 diabetes can lower their risk by more than half with these lifestyle changes:
• Healthy Eating
• Weight Loss (if necessary)
As a registered dietitian, I’m passionate about helping others on their journey to a healthier, happier life. I encourage my clients to focus on small, sustainable change. Today, I have the pleasure of sharing information about Truvia® Nectar. With 50% fewer calories than sugar, Truvia® Nectar is a simple switch that adds honey sweetness wherever you use agave, sugar or honey. Blended with stevia leaf extract and honey, Truvia® Nectar may help with you with weight maintenance and/or weight loss, by improving your ability to manage sugar intake and reduce calories as part of a balanced diet.
Because Truvia® Nectar is twice as sweet as honey, you only need to use half as much. With 2 grams of carbohydrate per 1/2 teaspoons serving, Truvia® Nectar can be a delicious part of a balanced, carb-conscious lifestyle. Try it when you want a touch of sweetness in hot or cold beverages, on oatmeal, fresh fruit, and yogurt. I love it in my Chai Tea Latte Lite, for a sweet n’ spicy afternoon pick-up with only 48 calories. The recipe is below.
Chai Tea Latte Lite (serves 4)
- 10 whole cloves
- 10 cardamon seeds
- 4 black peppercorns
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped
- whole nutmeg
- 4 cups water
- 4 black tea bags
- 2 cups skim milk
- 4 teaspoons Truvia Nectar
1. Combine first 5 ingredients to a medium saucepan. Using a mallet or wooden spoon, lightly crush and bruise the spices.
2. Add 4 cups of water; bring to boil over medium-high heat.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low ; partially cover pan and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Add tea bags and steep for 5 minutes. Discard tea bags.
5. Strain chai tea through a sieve lined with cheese cloth or a paper coffee filter. Add Truvia® Nectar to strained tea. Stir to combine.
6. Using a frother, froth skim milk.
7. Pour hot tea into mugs and top with frothed milk. Garnish with fresh grated nutmeg.