Disclosure: I received a Produce Box, mentioned in this post, free of charge. I was not compensated financially for writing this post. Opinions are my own.
Local produce, reducing food waste, farm love..this post is about all of the above. You see, the Produce Box was started by a stay at home Mom, Courtney Tellefsen, in an effort to make it easy for health conscience NC families to eat local, sustainable food. They also serve the wider community. Read about TPB history here and if you haven’t already joined, please sign up here to enjoy boxes like this beauty…
I love the conveninece of having the farmer’s market brought to my doorstep and I #feelgood about supporting local farmers; the Produce Box has a Farm Fund and has donated more than $20,000 to farmers to make capital improvements. I also enjoy the variety of produce, trying new things (like this cool cuke), and getting inspiration to prepare vegetables in new ways. Today’s recipe (adapted from the recipe included in my box) is a new way of using radishes. They generally go into my salads, but today I ‘m preparing them in a cast iron skillet. The interesting thing about this dish, it reduces food waste by using the entire vegetable, including the part you usually toss! Go ahead, eat the whole thing!
Cast Iron Skillet Radishes with Brown Butter (adapted from Bon Apppetit)
Radishes aren’t just for mixing in salads, they can be cooked for a delicious side like this cast iron skillet radishes with brown butter.
- Yield: 2 servings
• 1 bunch radishes
• 1 tablespoon olive oil + more for brushing skillet
• kosher salt
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
• 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Brush cast iron skillet with olive oil.
- Clean radishes and cut off all by 1/2 inch of green radish tops. Reserve trimmed tops and rinse well, coarsely chop and set aside.
- Cut radishes lengthwise and toss with olive oil.
- Place radishes , cut side down in cast iorn skillet. sprinkle with salt. Place skillet in oven for about 18 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add pinch of salt to skillet and cook until butter browns, swriling skillet frequently to keep from burning, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in fresh lemon juice.
- Drizzle roasted radishes with brown butter. Sprinkle with chopped radish tops. Serve warm.