The five ingredient Quinoa Salad that even your children will love!Disclosure: This is my recipe for Welch’s Recipe Contest. I received coupons for Welch’s 100% Grape Juice Products mentioned in this post, for creating a family friendly recipe and for the giveaway. I am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
The quinoa craze reminds me of the story by Hans Christian Anderson, The Emperor’s New Clothes. No one wants to come right out and say, I don’t like quinoa, much like no one wanted to confess they couldn’t see the Emperor’s new duds, without being labeled a fool. Sigh!
So guess what? Today I am sharing a recipe with you that will make you really want to eat this translucent grain, for reasons beyond it’s good for you (’cause you already know it’s nearly a complete protein, high in fiber, and gluten free.)
There are 2 parts to preparing foolproof quinoa, that even a child will love. The first part is cooking technique (thank you America’s Test Kitchen) and the second part is a purple cooking ingredient. Here’s how to to make quinoa tender with a satisfying bite (bye bye messy soggy quinoa).:
1. First toast quinoa in a pan over medium high heat until you hear a popping sound and the quinoa is fragrant (5-7 minutes).
2. Alter the common ratio 2:1 of water-to-quinoa to equal amounts.
Now for the the purple ingredient that will forever banish bitter, earthy tasting quinoa… Welch’s 100% Grape Juice. Not only does this ingredient boost the flavor, it also has the power of purple Concord grapes.
This photo is so cheesy, I apologize, but it calls attention to my message regarding grape research. For more than a decade, researchers have been exploring an important mix of plant nutrients-polyphenols- found in Concord grapes and the effects they have on the body, including possible benefits in supporting heart health. In addition, emerging research is being conducted to determine whether Concord grapes play a role in supporting a healthy mind and immune system. Click to see research. Using Welch’s 100% Grape Juice is a simple way to squeeze more flavor and better nutrition into foods you prepare for yourself and your family. Please try this recipe and enter to win!
Purple Quinoa Salad + Juicy Giveaway
Quinoa boiled in grape juice and made into a salad that even yur children will love.
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/4 cup Welch’s 100% Grape Juice
- 1/2 cup cucumber sliced and quartered
- 12 yellow grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
1. Toast quinoa in medium saucepan over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until quinoa is fragrant and make a popping sound, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Add Welch’s 100% grape juice to medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
3. Stir in quinoa and reduce heat to low. Simmer until grains are just tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat .
4. Let sit covered for 10 minutes. Fluff quinoa with a fork and stir in cucumber, tomato and oregano. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.