Disclosure : I received free samples of California Dried Plums mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the California Dried Plum Board and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
• Use dried plums to add moisture to meat entrees and baked goods and improve the texture and taste of stuffings, sauces and marinades.
• Toss or add chopped dried plums to oatmeal, on top of your favorite salad or Greek yogurt.
• Reduce the butter or oil in baked goods by substituing the same amount of prune purée. (Remember to also reduce the sugar in the recipe by almost half because prunes are naturally sweet.)
Last week I made Chocolate Tea Bread with Benefits using prune purée instead of butter. The results exceeded my expectations! This week the weather has warmed up, and I was craving something refreshing after the ho-hum task of pruning (no pun intended) back azaleas. Then this happened…
Chocolate Plum Frozen Yogurt Float
Enjoy the health benefits of dried plums in this refreshing frozen yogurt float.
- Yield: 4 servings
for the *chocolate plum sauce
- • 18 California dried plums
- • 2 1/2 cups water
- • 3 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
for the soda
- • 12-16 tablespoons *chocolate plum sauce
- • 8 tablespoons skim milk
- • 12 scoops fat-free vanilla frozen yogurt (about 2 cups)
- • chilled sparkling water
- • 4 Tablespoons whipped cream
for the dried plum sauce
1. Add dried plums and water to a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 10 minutes or until dried plums are tender.
2. Remove dried fruit (reserving cooking liquid) and add to food processor along with cocoa. Process until smooth adding additional cooking liquid one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved. (I used about 3 tablespoons of reserved cooking liquid).
for the frozen yogurt float
1. Place 2 Tablespoons of chocolate plum puree in the bottom of each glass.
2. Pour in 2 tablespoons of milk and 1/4 cup sparkling water for each serving.
3. Add 3 scoops of frozen yogurt to each glass and top with another 1-2 tablespoons chocolate plum puree.
4. Fill glasses with sparkling water. Finish with whipped cream and chopped pistachios. Serve immediately.