Berry coulis is an amazing accompaniment to both sweet and savory foods.
This weekend I got a chance to share my joy of cooking and gardening with this gift basket I assembled for our new neighbors. It includes some of the ingredients for my berry coulis and the herb that is working overtime for me this summer,
cinnamon basil . . I grew six of these plants from seed, not knowing what I’d use them for, and it’s been my most clipped summer herb! It really rocks in this berry coulis which, by the way, I’ve been smearing on top of both sweet and savory foods. I made this with frozen fruit, but would be a great way to use up fresh berries if you have berries to spare . Stay tuned for some of my new recipes using this delicious fruit coulis.
Ingredients (makes 2 cups)
- 16 ounces frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cinnamon basil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup berry jam (blueberry, strawberry, blackberry or raspberry)
1. In a small sauce pan, add all ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes until sauce begins to thicken. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate unused sauce.