Fuel an active lifestyle and celebrate National Hummus Day, May 13, with a Slice of Hummus.
Disclosure: I received free samples of Sabra Hummus mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe, I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time. Opinions are my own.
I am forever encouraging individuals to eat more vegetables. Conversations about vegetables often prompt this question to me, “Are you a vegetarian?” I am not. My eating patterns closely align with the Mediterranean diet. However, I adapt it to meet my nutritional needs and goals by consuming more yogurt and milk than the typical Mediterranean diet. There is one part of the plan I do believe is non-negotiable: physical activity and enjoying food. It’s why I focus on delicious foods to fuel an active lifestyle, and today’s post is no exception!
Have you ever asked yourself one or more of these questions:
• How can I improve my overall diet quality?
• How can I better my nutrient intakes?
• How can I lower my body weight parameters including body mass index and waist circumference?
If so, perhaps you should consume foods for which there is evidence of an association with improved overall diet quality, better nutrient intakes (including fiber and potassium), and lower body weight parameters including body mass index (BMI ) and waist circumference. One such food happens to be hummus, and I’m going to show you how to bring this plant based protein to the table as a delicious appetizer. Start with Sabra classic hummus spread on a toasted ancient grain mini naan (cut into quarters). Top with chopped pistachios and a dried apricot slice. Finish with a drizzle of honey. Enjoy!
Here are five reasons, Slice of Hummus Appetizer, is now my go to appetizer:
- I’m active and have little time for food prep. This is done in 5 minutes.
2. I prefer to consume nutrient rich foods, but don’t like to disappoint my friends and family by serving up something short on taste. No one will ever guess this appetizer is good for you.
3. I want to eat more veggies and plant based proteins. And if you are wondering, where’s the vegetable in this? It’s hummus (hummus is made of chickpeas and is in the vegetable subgroup legumes we all could benefit from eating more of.)
4. This appetizer can be made ahead of time and it’s also easily portable!
5. In the unlikely event there are any leftover appetizers, they won’t be wasted. The Slice of Hummus appetizer holds over well when refrigerated until the following day, and they work for me as breakfast(yes I did say breakfast) or a post-exercise recovery snack providing the 3:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein I follow after a bout of cardio.
Remember to eat your veggies, include physical activity daily, and enjoy nutritious and delicious foods in good company on National Hummus Day and everyday!
A Slice of Hummus
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
Ingredients (serves 16)
- 4 mini ancient grain nann
- 1 10 oz container Sabra Classic Hummus
- 4 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- 16 dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon honey
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place naan bread on baking sheet and heat for one minute.
2. Cut each mini naan bread into quarters. Place on a serving plate.
3. Spread 1 tablespoon Sabra classic hummus on each piece of naan, sprinkle with crushed pistachios and top with dried apricot.
4. Drizzle with honey. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.