Bring the garden to the table with these cheesy, herb infused burgers featuring Cabot’s Tomato Basil Cheddar.
Disclosure: I am a member of the Cabot Cheese Board and I received free Cabot cheese as mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering the #CabotGardeners recipe contest and I am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. Opinions are my own.
Sunday was Mother’s Day, and I reflected on being a Mom and Motherhood in the general sense…. nurturing gets a bad rap. However, it’s always been part of my life map. I see my family as my BIGGEST accomplishment. My kids, no matter what their age, (or mine) will always be..well..my kids. So, the truth of the matter is, I will never stop trying to influence and provide guidance. Yes, there ‘s a down side, results aren’t measurable by any analytic program, and there’s no guarantee that things will turn out the way I hope, hello #brokenheartclub. For me, it’s just about doing what feels right, and what was instilled by my own Mother, #thankyouMom.
With both of my kids out of the house, my daily nurturing instincts manifest themselves by caring for my labrador retrievers..which are actually my children’s dogs left for moi to raise…#gofigure! And watching what I’ve planted grow, like herbs in a window box, and vegetables in my raised bed … I’m patting myself on the back for getting the garden started 6 weeks earlier than last year! However, fresh herbs are still the only thing making it from the garden to the table in May. With grilling season underway, I’m pulling out the stops with what I call a garden burger. This burger is made with a technique chefs have used for years and one I’m a HUGE fan of, extending meats with mushrooms. Mushrooms have a savory flavor and meaty texture, making them a perfect complement to a burger. They not only extend your portions saving you money, they save you calories and boost the nutritional value . I’ve given this patty a gourmet taste with fresh herbs (thyme, parsley and oregano) and Cabot’s Tomato Basil Cheddar! The recipe is below, and it’s made for two, cause that’s how I roll nowadays, #emptynester.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspooon olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground round
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped herbs (parsley, thyme, oregano, basil)
- 2 ounces Cabot Tomato Basil Cheddar, sliced
1. Preheat grill.
2. In a medium skillet, saute chopped mushrooms in olive oil until tender.
3. In a large bowl, add cooked mushrooms, bread crumbs, egg and fresh herbs to ground meat. Mix thoroughly.
4. Shape beef mixture into 2 patties.
5. Add burgers to the grate of a hot grill. Grill to desired doneness, about 10 minutes per side.
6. Add cheddar slices to tops of burgers during last couple of minutes of grilling to allow cheese to melt.