This tasty winter salad uses these colder weather fruits and veggies: kale, oranges and pomegranate arils.
When I made my mocktail on New Year’s Eve, I knew it wouldn’t be a one night affair. The strawberry mint shrub and I have a budding culinary relationship. In my test kitchen, this vinegar drink is an ingredient for not only sprucing up bottled water, but for some new recipe creations! Today I’m sharing one of them; a salad that screams WINTER! Kale is the base. I added citrus, pomegrante arils, and roasted almonds. It’s finished with a vinaigrette made by mixing my strawberry shrub with olive oil. Here’s proof that you don’t have to wait til summer to enjoy a fresh green salad.
Kale Citrus Salad (serves 4)
- 1 large bunch of kale (about 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons strawberry shrub
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 2 oranges, slice into rounds
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, roughly chopped
1. De-stem kale. Roll it and cut into thin slices. Place in salad bowl.
2. Combine olive oil with strawberry shrub. Whisk , pour over kale and massage into the leaves.
3. Top with oranges, and pomegranate arils. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with almond pieces.