Disclosure: I received a Produce Box, mentioned here, free of charge. I was not expected to write this post. I was not financially compensated for my time. Opinions are my own.
Last week there was something in my produce box I had never eaten before
but this week it’s included as an ingredient in something I’m preparing for Thanksgiving. These pretty white turnips. I can’t say I was clueless about what to do with them for long, because the Produce box always includes tips to keep your produce fresh and suggested ways to prepare the goodness.
Here are the tips they offer for turnips: grate into a salads, add to stocks, roast grill or cook as you would potatoes. They keep in the refrigerator for one two weeks. You can also use the leaves, but must cut them from the root and store separately; use with in a few days.
Mashed potatoes! The recipe is below and is adapted from my original recipe made with cauliflower. You can also use your own mashed potato recipe, just substitute in turnip roots for some of the potatoes (I use the proportion: 1 part turnip root to 3 parts potato.) One cup of turnips has 35 calories, is a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C and potassium.
This holiday season, remember to bring health to the holiday table with more fruits and vegetables. Consider giving yourself (or someone you care about) the gift of produce delivered to your door via the Produce Box!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound turnips, peeled
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 Tablespoon non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- garnish with fresh Italian parsley
1. Put potatoes and turnip into a Dutch oven. Add water to cover the vegetables. Add salt. Bring to a boil. reduce heat; steam covered for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Using a slotted spoon, remove vegetables and add to a foo mill. Force vegetables through fodd mill into large bowl.
3. Stir in milk, Greek yogurt, butter and salt. Serve immediately.