Fusilli with Broccoli & Peanuts is just one example of the myriad of ways pasta fits into a busy lifestyle by providing a means to quick, wholesome and affordable meals that are pleasing to the palate.
Disclosure: I was asked to participate in the Pasta Fits campaign as a member of Healthy Aperture Blogger Network. I was compensated for my time.
Aah, summer. It’s hard to say goodbye to the beach, pool parties and lazy days.. The school year is a slew of schedules and the best way to navigate the hectic mornings, homework assignments, activities and rounds of sports is organization. Preparing for back to school should include a plan for meals and snacks. Easing back into a routine of healthy eating after the summer doesn’t have to be difficult. Keep it simple by focusing on foods that:
• provide sustained energy
• are quick and wholesome
• are affordable
• please every palate on every occasion
Pasta fits the above criteria making it a smart choice for meals during the school year! One serving of pasta of provides 7 grams of protein and about 200 calories of sustainable engery. The start of a new school year is no time to be sluggish, tired and unable to concentrate. Complex carbohydrates, like a pasta, provide the optimum type of fuel to power your muscles and brain. A slower release of energy keeps both you and your kids going throughtout the day .
Pasta can be the start of wholesome meals that can be assembled in minutes. It pairs well with protein rich foods ( like lean meat, seafood, nuts and legumes), nutrient dense vegetables and heart healthy fats.
Pasta is one of the most affordable meals. Keeping pasta on hand elimates the need for pricey takeout.
Pasta is versatile; it can be eaten at any time of the day, and there infinite ways to add your own special culinary twitst. Today I combined it with broccoli, peanuts and a lemon honey dressing for a terrific side or vegetarian meal ..
and the leftovers are perfect to tote school or work.
This school year, make the grade with pasta for quick, affordable, nutritious and satifying meals!
Fusilli with Broccoli & Peanuts
total prep/cooking time: 20 minutes
- 7 oz. dry fusilli
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups broccoli flowerets
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup roasted peanuts
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Toss with canola oil.
2. Blanch broccoli for one minute in boiling salted water. Refresh under cold running water and drain well.
3. Blend lemon juice, honey and seasonings (onion powder through salt). Combine pasta with the broccoli , lemon-honey mixture and seasonings. Cool, cover and refrigerate. Stir in peanuts just before serving. Serve cold or reheat in microwave.