Disclosure: I received coupons for free samples of Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
What’s your go to summer meal? Mine is something grilled atop a big Caesar salad. In my humble opinion, it’s the Caesar dressing (the raw egg yolk in particular) that gives this meal it’s richness and swagger! Although I have never been squeamish about eating raw eggs, I have been concerned about the risk of Salmonella. Not any more. I use Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs because the natural pasteurization process uses a warm water bath that eliminates the risk of Salmonella in eggs, but does not change the taste or nutritional value. So I can add raw eggs to smoothies and salad dressings; whip up a no cook mousse; and gently cook scrambled and poached eggs– all with peace of mind.
So you see, SafeEggs are versatile. And so is my classic Caesar salad; today I’m adapting it to something new and different (but keeping the richness and swagger). That’s how this was born…
Just the sight of this meal says hello summer. It boasts the flavor and goodness of a traditional Caesar salad, but with an Asian flare in only 390 calories and a healthy 37 grams of protein. The nutritional value is light & lean, and the taste is BIG and flavorful!
Deconstructed Summer Roll with Asian-Inspired Caesar Dressing
This variation of the classic Caesar salad is just one example of the versatility of Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs, a necessity for all your recipes using raw or gently cooked eggs.
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
for the Asian Inspired Caesar Dressing
- 1/4 cup cooked edamame, shelled
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Davidson’s Safest Choice Pasteurized egg yolk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the grilled shrimp
- 1 pound large wild caught shrimp
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil for brushing shrimp
- Chinese 5 spice
- 2 lemons, halved
for the slalad
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, cleaned and dried
- 2 ounces thin vermicelli rice noodles, cooked
- 1/2 cup thinnly slice radicchio
- 1 cup cooked edamame, shelled
for the Caesar Dressing
Combine ingredients edamame through wasabi in a blender and process until smooth. Gradually add olive oil to combine. Pour into glass jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
for the Grilled Shrimp
1. Preheat grill.
2. Butterfly shrimp by slicing almost through lengthwise, but leave shell on shrimp (this will keep shrimp tender while grilling over high heat).
3. Brush shrimp with oil and season with Chinese 5 spice. Grill 2 minutes on each side, until shells are pink and shrimp is opaque.
4. Place lemons on the grill for the last minute. Remove from grill and set aside to serve with salad and squeeze over shrimp.
To assemble salad
Combine chopped romaine, radicchio, and noodles in large bowl. Divide among 4 plates. Top each plate with grilled shrimp and squeeze grilled lemon halves over shrimp. Sprinkle each salad with edamame. Serve immediately with Asian-Inspired Caesar dressing on the side.