I hope you’re enjoying a myriad of summer fruits and vegetables from the market, your CSA box, or a plot of dirt out back. If so, you’re going to relish this month’s Recipe Redux. Here’s our challenge
Get Your Fruits and Veggies in Shape
With produce galore, now’s a great time to enjoy lots of fruits and vegetables. Show us how you’re serving the bounty of gardens and orchards in shapes like ribbons, noodles, cut-outs, or other creative cuts.
watermelon cut into circles with a biscuit cutter and threaded onto skewkers alternating with chunks of feta cheese, and basil. (You can use cookie cutters to make any shape you desire and taylor to the theme of your party.) They make cute appetizers and help keep your summer entertaining menu light with only 76 calories and 3 grams of protein per kabob. These are going to be perfect snacks for me on this hot July afternoon. Be sure to check out the links at the bottom of this post to see how my colleagues are getting their summer fruits and veggies in shape.
Watermelon Feta Kabobs
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 1 personal watermelon
- 6- 8 ounces feta cheese, cut into 1″ squares
- fresh basil leaves
- chef’s knife
- 10 wooden skewers
- 1 inch biscuit cutter
1. Place melon on a cutting board and using a chef’s knife, cut melon in half.
2. Working with one half of the melon at a time, place watermelon on cutting board cut side down. Trim away the rind with a chef’s knife.
3. Cut the watermelon into 1 inch thick slices.
4. Put out circles with buscuit cutter.
5. Alternate watermelon, feta cheese and basil on each skewer. Refrigerate until ready to serve.