Many individuals have been enjoying the refreshing taste of coconut water, making it the fastest growing beverage in the United States and Coco Vita is the market leader. One cup of unflavored coconut water contains zero grams of fat, only 45 calories, is good source of potassium and a very good source of vitamin C. But just until recently, did many of us realize it should be, as Deanna from teaspoon of spice put it, “a new pantry staple.”
Today I am using my new pantry staple in a recipe I developed this week for a piña colada sorbet. It’s fitting that my first sorbet of the 2013 summer season has a refreshing tropical taste. It makes a great fat free substitute for ice cream and I especially like that it contains no gums or preservatives found in store bought versions of prepared frozen desserts and drinks.
If you’ve already been enjoying the great taste of Coco Vita pure coconut water or are interested in finding out what the excitement is all about, here’s a chance to win a free case! A big thank you to Sarah Lewis and the rest of the Vita Coco team for making this possible! You can enter to win at the bottom of this post.
What’s your favorite frozen dessert or drink?
Piña Colada Sorbet
- 1 cup Coco Vita coconut water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 -20 oz can crushed pineapple, packed in juice
- 1 large mango, peeled and chopped
1. Place coconut water and sugar in a medium sauce pan and heat until sugar is dissolved. Cool completely; either store in refrigerator overnight or chill over an ice bath for 30 minutes if you wish to make sorbet right away.
2. Add chopped mango and crushed pineapple + juice to a food mill to express juice from fruit.
3. Add juice to cooled sugar and coconut water mixture. Pour into a freezer bowl of an automatic frozen yogurt-ice cream & sorbet maker. Turn the machine on and let mix until mixture thickens, about 30 minutes.
4. If desired , transfer sorbet to an airtight container and place in freezer until firm, about 2 hours.
Variation: Add 1/4 cup shredded coconut during the last 5-10 minutes of freezing.
Disclosure: Coco Vita is providing me with samples and this opportunity to give away a case of Coco Vita Pure coconut water on my blog, in appreciation for my participation in their recent recipe contest.